Tuesday, December 13, 2011

And yet another semester comes to a close...




Addictions Theory- countless pages of reading about the History of Addictions and Various Counseling Theories, tests galore, visits to AA meetings, and a 10 page capstone paper.

Inductive Bible Study- so many word studies, detailed observations, theological principles, historical-cultural studies, group projects, and to cap that all off, a Final Project that involved hours and hours in the library, and 25 pages of information on the book of Jonah. Never will I read that book the same.

Foundations of Early Childhood- getting to simply learn about the education of children, and the importance of things such as play. This was a “two-fer” class, because it has been useful information for future parenting, as well.

Child Development- getting to raise a Virtual Child (she didn’t turn out too hot- but that’s besides the point), getting to interview children for a project, and having a class filled with fun from start to finish

Theology- Oh how dear to my heart! Countless pages of reading, 4-mat reflections on so many different books, tests that were harder than anything I have experienced in my life, and an 80 page handbook to finish it off!

Boy, has it been a great semester!


This semester has been one of the biggest blessings, and such a large learning experience for me. If you were to ask me what my plans were for this semester in August, my answer would not be what ended up happening at all. During the summer, I couldn’t even fathom this point in my life. During this semester, I have seen myself grow in so many ways. Emotionally, mentally, and most of all, spiritually. Spiritually, I have learned to trust God so much more than I ever believed or imagined. I have always known that trusting God was something I needed to grow in, and I believe I still do, but God really does show you how to trust Him when you have no strength of your own- which did occur this semester! This semester was filled with some of the worst days of my entire life, as well as some of the best. Filled with laughter that made me cry, as well as tears of sadness. I have had days where I feel that I have no hope, and I have had days that I feel my hope is overflowing. I have never felt so broken, yet so blessed. It’s funny- sometimes those moments of extreme broken-ness are really where you feel the most blessed- because those feelings of blessing come truly from God.

This semester, I have learned so much academically! I have never had to write so many papers, and spend so much time in the library in my entire life. Just these past few days, I logged in over 30 hours just in the library. Even though it has been the most stressful semester work-wise, it has most definitely been the most rewarding academically! I have never loved my classes so much. My heart yearns to learn about what I am learning about- I love children, and learning about them. I love psychology and counseling, and having the privilege of learning how to best help people in a therapy setting. And I completely and totally love Inductive Bible Study and Theology. More than I ever thought imaginable. I feel that my brain seeks out those subjects, and thrives with that information.

I have my last finals tomorrow (or should I say today!), just Foundations. And IBS, but we are just going in to get an assignment. But, I am feeling quite nostalgic. I think I may cry when Inductive Bible Study is officially over. I have loved that class more than I ever thought I would. It’s not only the subject matter- it’s our professor- who is so funny, caring, and vulnerable—it’s the people in the class- thank you youth ministry majors for keeping class so entertaining!- and it’s especially three special girls who have helped me through this semester more than they can imagine!

I know for a fact that God has a plan for my life- and that by seeking Him out, I will begin to glimpse what that plan is. However, for right now, it truly is one step at a time. Why worry about things years or months in advance? I have been given today, and for that I am grateful. What I choose to do with it is up to me. Will I rejoice, and be thankful, and glorify God with my words, thoughts, and deeds? Or will I choose to focus on myself, and not bring God glory?
That is the fundamental question we all should be asking…

A few months ago, I couldn’t imagine myself here doing what I am doing now, but at this point in my life, I can’t imagine what my life would’ve been like without these past few months. The classwork, the trials (yes-the trials), and the people (friends who stick by me no matter what, professors who truly care, and friends who simply make going to class such an enjoyable experience). I am so thankful for what God is doing in my life, and what He will continue to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment